Monday, April 22, 2013

Timelines.....

     One thing about genealogy is that I'm not sure one can ever run out of things to do in gathering documentation!  I watched a really good clip on timelines which gave some great ideas.  Fortunately, for me, I've already created spreadsheets for working on timelines.  My primary focus was to get tax records in line with census records with the intent of going for deeds in a more systematic manner.  (I'm still battling the ADGD:)-at least this way, I can divert some and still make progress!  After watching the clip, I'm now incorporating ages at time of events as well as births of children etc.  I've started with the year that the records I have indicate my ancestor would have turned 21-which is when they would have started paying taxes.  That can help document DOB as well as give clue about father/parent (i.e. if father deceased then mother may be listed on tax records).  Also, land acquired/sold is noted and in later tax records the number of school age children.  Even the death year can be narrowed down-especially if the next tax record shows spouse.  All of these things can help round out the research.  That was my original intent.  After watching the short video, I am now adding ages as well as events to timeline.  Such as when they got married (if known), each child as they came along to help catch any errors-such as impossible connections.....nope, I'm not above making silly errors-I think it is in my DNA!  One other added advantage is that it is helping me to remember when counties were created and what their parent counties were.  I realize that many others are probably further along this trail than I am; and I am further with some, but goal is to get all six generations thoroughly documented as I work my way back.  So, we will see how this goes......

No comments:

Post a Comment